This recipe is our fusion take on the Italian Classic recipe. We used Flat Rice noodle from Southeast Asian in order to have a gluten-free dish that still maintain a similar consistency to Italian linguine. We prepared a vegetarian soffritto with spring onion and zucchini, instead of the Italian guanciale and we added a seafood twist with the seared scallops. The way we prepare the eggs is absolutely legit: no cream or milk is required to create a creamy sauce. The secret of this recipe is in the eggs and how you stir them with the pasta while the fire is off. Carbonara is a very simple pasta dish and every step is fundamental in order to obtain a great result at the end!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 80g Pad Thai Brown Rice Noodles
- 80g Pad Thai Black Rice Noodles
- 1 Green Onion
- 2 Zucchini
- 3 Eggs
- 6-8 Scallops
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Chop the spring onion and simmer it with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Finely slice the zucchini and add them to the pan with the spring onion and the extra-virgin olive oil. Panfry the zucchini until they become golden. Adjust salt to taste and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them. To make the eggs even creamier I have added 1 tablespoon of coconut milk. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Boil water in a pot and once the water is boiling add the pad thai noodles. These noodles need to cook 2-3 mins less than the recommended time.
- Stir the zucchini with low heat, while the pasta is cooking.
- In a pre-heated non-stick pan, panfry the scallops for a couple of minutes for each side. Once seared, remove the scallops and pour 2 tablespoons of water in the pan. The water will collect all the juices of the scallops. Pour the water in the pan with the zucchini.
- Once the noodles are ready, drain the water and pass them under cold running water.
- Pour the noodles into the pan with the zucchini and turn off the heat.
- Slightly beat the eggs again and pour them into the pan and continue to stir until all the ingredients are fully mixed. The eggs will be partially cooked by the heat of the noodles and will create a creamy sauce.
- Add the scallops to the noodles and add black pepper to taste.