- Gluten-free (optional)
Pasta alla Carbonara is one of the most traditional pasta you can eat in Rome and it consists of 2 main ingredients: a creamy sauce made with eggs and pan-fried pancetta (a.k.a. the Italian version of bacon). Since I'm intolerant to pork I have decided to create my own seafood version, using pan-fried zucchini and scallops.
- Linguine (90g per person)
- Half a Spring Onion
- 2 Zucchini (for 2 people)
- 2 Eggs (for 2 people)
- 6-8 Scallops (for 2 people)
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Milk
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Chop the spring onion and simmer it with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Finely slice the zucchini and add them to the pan with the spring onion and the extra-virgin olive oil. Panfry the zucchini until they become golden. Adjust salt to taste and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them. To make the eggs even creamier I have added 1 tablespoon of coconut milk. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Boil water in a pot and once the water is boiling add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and pour the pasta. Pasta needs to cook 2 mins less than the time recommended in the box.
- While the pasta is boiling add 2/3 tablespoons of cooking water into the pan (with the zucchini). The amid released in the water will add a creamy texture to the pasta sauce.
- Stir the zucchini with low-heat, while the pasta is cooking.
- In a pre-heated non-stick pan, panfry the scallops with 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil for a couple of minutes for each side. Once seared, remove the scallops and pour 2 tablespoons of water in the pan. The water will collect all the juices of the scallops. Pour the water in the pan with the zucchini.
- Once the pasta is cooked, pour it into the pan with the zucchini and turn off the heat.
- Slightly beat the eggs again and pour them into the pan and continue to stir until all the ingredients are fully mixed. The eggs will be partially cooked by the heat of the pasta and will create a creamy sauce.
- Add the scallops to the pasta and add black pepper to taste.