- Gluten-free (Optional)
This is our alternative recipe to a tomato-based pasta sauce. The sweetness of the carrot puree and the saltiness of the mackerel and the capers are perfectly balanced. We recommend using mackerel in extra-virgin olive oil so that the oil can be used in the sauce as well. The wholewheat spaghetti add an extra flavor to the dish.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g of Wholewheat Spaghetti
- 1 Mackerel Can (Extra-virgin Olive Oil)
- 4 Carrots
- 3 Green Onions
- Handful of Capers (Preserved in Sea Salt)
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Chives
- Sea Salt
- Finely slice 2 green onions and dice the carrots and stir in a pot with extra-virgin olive oil at medium heat for 5 mins. Season with sea salt.
- Add half a glass of water and keep stirring until the carrots are completely cooked and soft (10 minutes).
- Adjust with sea salt, extra-virgin olive oil and a bit of water and blend it in order to obtain a smooth cream/puree.
- Finely slice the remaining green onion and simmer in a wok with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the mackerel and the capers and mix all together. We recommend mackerel in extra-virgin olive oil. Since this is a good quality oil, we can add it to the sauce.
- Boil water in a pot. Once the water is boiling add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and then add the pasta. The pasta needs to cook for 2 mins less than the time recommended on the box to have it Al Dente.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the wok. Add the carrot puree and mix all together. Season with black pepper.
- Plate the pasta, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil and add some freshly chopped chives on top.