I have always loved Parmigiana, but I couldn't eat really it as the original recipe contains mozzarella cheese as one of the main ingredients. I am dairy intolerant, so I had to come up with a solution to share this amazing Italian classic to everyone! I had the chance to create my own version and enjoy the taste of fried eggplants and sweets tomatoes. If you love eggplants, this recipe is perfect for you.
This is a very traditional recipe from the South of Italy. It's not a quick dish to do, but well worth the time! It involves building, and cooking each item of the 'tower' individually.
- 1 Eggplant (1 lbs / 450g)
- 20 Cherry Tomatoes (for 2 people)
- Vegan Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- A Clove of Garlic
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Slice the eggplant and sprinkle the salt on top of each slice in order to remove the excess water. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a pan, and pan fry each slice (usually cook for 5 minutes each side).
- In a wok, simmer a clove of garlic with extra-virgin olive oil until it becomes golden.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into 4 pieces/quarters and add them to the wok.
- Once the cherry tomatoes are fully cooked and mashed, add basil and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Prepare the parmigiana: add a slice of fried eggplant, season the top with half a table spoon of tomato sauce and vegan cheese. Add another 2 layers with the eggplant slice, tomato sauce and vegan cheese.
- Repeat until you have used all the slices.
- Cook the eggplant parmigiana for 20-25 mins at 400°F.
- Serve the parmigiana with some fresh basil leaves on top.