We created a soup made with cauliflower, coconut milk and yam to complement the firefly squids. The creaminess, saltiness and sweetness of the soup enhance the flavors of the squids while the roasted breadcrumbs add crunchiness and an amazing aroma to the whole dish. This recipe can be served as an appetizer or as a main course.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 1lb Firefly Squids
- 1/2 Can of Coconut Milk
- 1 Japanese Yam
- 1 Cauliflower
- 1 Green Onion
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 25g of Almond Crackers
- Finely slice the green onion. Stir with extra-virgin olive oil in a saucepan for a couple of mins.
- Peel the yam and cut into cubes. Cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces (ideally cut each flower).
- Add the yam and the cauliflower to the saucepan and stir all together at medium heat.
- Cook the vegetables with the lid until they are half cooked.
- Add half a can of coconut milk. Cook for 5 mins.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cook for another 5mins.
- Let it cool down. Pour the mix into a blender and blend until you obtain a creamy puree. You can add more coconut milk or water if you want a more liquid consistency.
- Season the firefly squids with sea salt and steam them for a couple of minutes.
- Blend the almond crackers until you obtain a fine consistency (similar to fine breadcrumbs) and toast in a non-stick pan with a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Plate the soup in a bowl, add the firefly squids and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Add some toasted crumbs on top and drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil.