We have tried Crayfish for the first time after watching a lot of documentaries about Louisiana/New Orleans best food experiences. It's absolutely a must-try! Here's our take, not 100% legit but it felt like a good starting point! We also added a fusion touch with Chinese vermicelli to complement the dish.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 2lbs / 1kg of Crayfish
- 1 Lime
- 1 Lemon
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Bay Leaves to taste
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 60g Chinese Vermicelli made with Rice Flour (optional)
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Wash thoroughly the cray fish to remove mud.
- Boil water in a pot and add 2 cloves of garlic, 1 sliced lime, 1 sliced lemon, bay leaves, sea salt.
- Once the water is boiling, add the crayfish and cook for 5-6mins.
- Drain the crayfish and serve! You can add fresh lime/lemon slices and freshly ground black pepper.
- Soak the vermicelli in water until they become soft (approx. 7-8mins depending on the type of vermicelli).
- Boil the water in a saucepan and once it's boiling, pour the vermicelli and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Separate the vermicelli from the water and rinse it under cold running water and let them cool down completely.
- Dry the vermicelli with a paper towel.
- Warm a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a pan and add the vermicelli. Press the vermicelli with a spatula, creating a pancake shape and making sure they stick together.
- Cook at medium heat until you get a crispy consistency on both sides.
- Once you obtain a crunchy and crispy vermicelli pancake, the vermicelli is ready to be served.