- Gluten-free (optional)
This is a completely original dish that I have come up with that puts a balance between seafood and vegetables. Pasta is one of the most versatile ingredients. You can create a lot of different recipes by combining the ingredient in a different way. I wanted to create a pasta dish rich in seafood flavor and balance it out with zucchini and eggplant. The fried eggplants, sweet and slightly crunchy but soft inside, are DELICIOUS! This recipe also combines some ingredients from North and South of Italy in a perfect way. Try it out!
This recipe came from the inspiration of Italian cuisine, mixed with the fresh ingredients that I had available here in San Francisco.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g Linguine
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 6-8 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Zucchini
- 0.5lb of Squids including Squid Ink (for 2 people)
- 4-6 Scallops
- Fresh Mint
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Chili (optional)
- Simmer a clove of garlic with extra-virgin olive oil until it becomes golden. You can crush the garlic with your knife and leave the skin.
- Slice the eggplant widthwise to create circular slices. Season with sea salt and let them rest for 5 mins to remove the excess of water.
- Preheat a wide pan with extra-virgin olive oil to fry the eggplant slices. Fry the slices 5 mins each side.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and add them to the pan.
- Slice the zucchini and add them to the pan once the cherry tomatoes are becoming soft.
- Stir the zucchini and the cherry tomatoes for 5-6 mins. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Slice the body of the squids and leave the head uncut.
- Add the squids and the scallops to the pan and continue to stir. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Boil water in a big pot. Once the water is boiling, add a spoon of coarse salt and add the pasta.
- Pasta needs to cook 2 mins less than the time recommended in the box.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan. Continue to stir until sauce is fully mixed with the pasta.
- Plate the pasta and add the fried eggplant slices cooked separately.
- Season with fresh mint, chili and extra virgin olive oil.