This is our take on Japanese yakitori. It's definitely a fusion recipe that involves flavors and aromas from the Japanese cuisine as well as Western elements like the wasabi mayonnaise to complement the scallops. We used extra-virgin olive oil instead of sunflower oil for the mayonnaise. We love this recipe!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 16 Scallops
- 4 Green Onions
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Organic Soy Sauce (Gluten-free)
- 1 Egg
- Fresh Wasabi
- Sea Salt
- Organic Apple Vinegar
- Cut the each green onion into 4 pieces.
- Place the scallops and the green onions into skewers alternating scallops and green onions.
- Mix a tablespoon of soy sauce with a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil in a cup. Use this sauce to brush the scallops and green onions in the skewers.
- Grill the skewers on the BBQ for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Prepare the mayonnaise with an immersion blender.
- Break 1 egg and add it to a beaker, add a pinch of sea salt, fresh wasabi and a tablespoon of apple vinegar.
- Pulse with the immersion blender a few times to break up the yolks.
- Add the oil from the top while blending, making sure it gets incorporated in the mayonnaise. Add as much of the oil as needed to reach the consistency you prefer; the more oil you add, the thicker the mayo will become.
- Serve the scallop skewers with the wasabi mayonnaise on the side.