This is our take on the Risotto alle Vongole. It's not the traditional Italian recipe. We decided to use a vegetable broth and add a seafood flavor to the Risotto by adding the sauce naturally made by the clams during the cooking process. The vegetable broth adds some sweetness and acidity to the dish and perfectly balances the saltiness from the clams.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g Riso Acquerello or Carnaroli or Vialone Nano
- 1/2 lb of Clams
- 1 Spring Onion
- 5-6 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Small Red Onion
- A Clove of Garlic
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Prepare a vegetable broth by boiling water in a pot and adding 5-6 cherry tomatoes, 2 carrots, 1 small red onion.
- Let it boil for 30mins. Once the broth is cool down, blend it with all the vegetables. As an alternative you can use a pre-prepared vegetable broth.
- Simmer a clove of garlic and chili with extra-virgin olive oil until golden.
- Add the clams to the pan and cover with a lid. Once the clams are open, turn off the fire.
- Remove the shell from the clams.
- Slice a spring onion and simmer it with extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Once the oil is warm and the spring onion starts to sizzle, add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes.
- Pre-heat the vegetable broth in a saucepan and keep it at a medium heat
- Start pouring small amounts of broth in the pan with the rice and continue stirring. Keep doing this for three quarters of the rice cooking time.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the clams with their sauce (make sure there's no sand at the bottom, otherwise I would recommend filtering it out).
- Make sure you add the right amount of broth to make the risotto creamy (and not brothy or overcooked).
- Once the risotto is finally cooked, drizzle season it with ground black pepper and drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil.