- Gluten-free (optional)
My family loves red mullets. When I was younger, I didn't really like dealing with fish bones and my parents were used to fillet the red mullets removing all the bones and fry them. They were also preparing a fresh tomato sauce to complement the fried fillets. I loved it! It was one of my favorite recipes!
We have been lucky enough to find super fresh red mullets and I decided to re-create this recipe adding my own twist: I have blended the tomato sauce in order to have a creamier and smoother version and I have added a fresh basil pesto (dairy-free, nut-free) to add freshness to the recipe! The outcome is absolutely delicious!
If you want to make this recipe keto friendly you can use almond flour to fry the red mullets and the result will be amazing!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 2 Red Mullets
- 20-25 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Raw Coconut Sugar
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Basil
- Organic Wholewheat Flour or Organic Rice Flour (gluten-free option)
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Add 1 clove of garlic to a non-stick pan and simmer with extra-virgin olive oil until golden. Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Once the cherry tomatoes are half cooked add 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar and keep stirring at medium heat until they are completely cooked and mashed.
- Remove the garlic and blend the cherry tomatoes until you obtain a very smooth and creamy sauce.
- Prepare a fresh basil pesto by blending fresh basil leaves with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Wash the red mullets and dry them with a paper towel.
- Pour some flour in a plate and roll the red mullets into the flour until they are fully covered.
- Pre-heat in a pan some extra-virgin olive oil and pan fry the red mullets for 2-3mins each side, depending on the size of the fish.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper and complement the red mullets with the tomato sauce and the basil pesto!