After moving to USA, we discovered that Mexican Tacos are a popular food option, something that we rarely ate in our home countries. We have tried some amazing tacos while here in California and enjoyed the variety and the rich flavors of the Mexican cuisine. One thing that has intrigued us is the amount of flavor and filling that can fit in such a small tortilla. We also noticed the number of colors that is melded together as it is eaten. That is when we decided to undertake this enormous task: create our own version of Fish Taco! We decided to deep-fry sole fillets instead of cod fillets as the meat is softer and we used a mango salsa to balance with its sweet acidity the oily deep-fried fillets. We also opted for a keto tortillas made with cassava flour and chia seeds. The result is really flavorful, juicy and fresh!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 300g Sole Fillets
- 6 Cassava & Chia Seeds Tortillas
- 1 Lime
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin Seeds
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Organic Rice Flour
- 1/4 Red Cabbage
- 1 Mango
- Fresh Cilantro
Red Cabbage Salad:
- Chop the spring onion and simmer it with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Finely slice the red cabbage and add it to a large bowl. Season it with cumin seeds, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, the juice of half a lime and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mix all together and let it rest.
- Dice the mango pulp and pour it into a blender. Add the juice of half a lime.
- Blend it until you obtain a very smooth and creamy salsa.
Deep-fried Sole Fillets:
- Cut the sole fillets into 2-3-inch cubes (approx. 5cm).
- Prepare the batter in a large bowl with rice flour, cold water, sea salt and black pepper. Whisk all together until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan and pre-heat it until it reaches 160°F. You can also use organic peanut oil, as an alternative.
- Dip the sole cubes into the batter and deep-fry for 2-3mins each piece.
- Let the deep-fried sole cubes rest on a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
Assemble all the ingredients: Add some fried sole cubes on top of the tortillas and add the red cabbage salad on top. Season with the mango salsa and some chopped cilantro.