- 2 days
When I first tried this recipe, it was in Sydney (Australia) where my husband showed me this small but intimate traditional Japanese restaurant. Miso Black Cod was the must-try dish from there, and MY GOD, it was amazing! The buttery and natural oil taste of the fatty Black Cod, the fine balance of saltiness from the white Miso, and the hint of alcohol (sake) really shine in this simple but balanced dish.
Since then, I have searched for the recipe for this dish and has become one of our Japanese favorites, and so easy to do. The black cod becomes tender and juicy in the oven, and is such a delicate fish to cook. The only thing to take into consideration is that the cod needs to marinate in the miso sauce for 2 days. We also refined this dish during one of our travels to Japan and we LOVED it! Every time we eat it we go back to Japan to the night when a Japanese chef taught us how to make it! Hope to be able to travel to Japan again soon!
- Black Cod Fillet (250g per person)
- White miso (make sure it's made with rice and sea salt)
- Mix in a bowl 3 teaspoons of white miso with half a glass of mirin and half a glass of sake.
- Wash and rinse the black cod and sprinkle some salt on top.
- Add the black cod to the bowl and marinate for 2 days.
- Remove with a spatula all the sauce from the black cod and put it on an oven tray. Add a pinch of salt.
- Cook the black cod for 20-25 mins at 400°F. Make sure the sauce in the fish will caramelize.
- Serve the black cod.