If you like the prawns and the seafood flavors, this recipe is perfect for you! The main ingredient here is the crustacean sauce which is a flavorful blend of prawn broth and cherry tomatoes. This last ingredient is very mild, and it mainly provides consistency to the recipe. Having super fresh prawns is key for this recipe. I would recommend avoiding frozen prawns as they might not have the same flavor as the fresh ones. Another amazing ingredient we used for this preparation is the Finger Lime. Finger Limes look like small tubular limes. You can cut them in the middle and you would be surprise by the consistency. They consist of little pearls similar to caviar and the taste of the pearls is absolutely astonishing. It's like a mix of lime and orange aromas. The pearls are surprisingly sweet with a mild sourness. The finger lime adds freshness to the recipe enhancing at the same time the sweetness of the prawns. The combination of prawns and finger lime is absolutely amazing!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g of Mafalde
- 6-7 Fresh Prawns
- 4 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 Finger Limes
- 1 Teaspoon of Cassava Flour
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- De-shell the prawns and use the shells to prepare crustacean broth in a small pot. Use only 2 cups of water as we want to obtain a very concentrated broth.
- Dice the prawns' body meat into thumb size pieces.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Add 1 clove of garlic to a non-stick pan and simmer with extra-virgin olive oil until golden. Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper. Once the cherry tomatoes are half cooked add the a few tablespoons of the broth prepared with the prawns' shells.
- Keep adding broth to the sauce until the cherry tomatoes are fully cooked. You will probably add 5-6 tablespoons of broth in total.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of cassava flour with 2 teaspoons of warm water and mix all together. Add the mix to the cherry tomatoes and stir until it becomes fully mixed. The cassava flour will thicken the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the blender and blend until you obtain a very smooth and creamy sauce.
- Boil some water in a pot and once the water is boiling add 1 tablespoon of sea salt and then add the pasta. The pasta needs to cook for 2 mins less than the time recommended on the box.
- Stir the diced prawns for a couple of minutes in the same pan where you cooked the crustacean sauce. After a couple of minutes turn off the fire.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the pan with the prawns. Add the crustacean sauce and stir until the sauce is fully mixed with the pasta.
- Cut the finger limes into halves and squeeze out the pearls. They will look like caviar.
- Plate the pasta, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil on top and add the lime caviar.