We really like Chinese Scallion Pancakes! The fresh scallion, the extra-virgin olive oil and the crispy consistency are absolutely AMAZING! I wanted to find an alternative version rich in protein and fiber to eat as a snack or for a quick and healthy meal. This recipe is perfect if you're on a keto diet. You will not miss the original recipe!
Ingredients (4 Scallion Pancakes):
- 1 Cup of Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 4-6 Tablespoons of Psyllium Husk Powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons of Sea Salt
- 2 Cups of Warm Water (60°C / 140°F)
- 8-10 Green Onions
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Chinese Five Spices (optional)
- Pour all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: start with 4 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder. Make sure you have extra-fine almond flour.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and 2 cups of warm water and use a spatula to mix all the ingredients together.
- You can knead the dough with your hands, or you can rely on a mixer. If you choose the mixer, like us, turn it on at medium speed for 3-4mins.
- Check regularly the consistency of the dough. If it's too wet sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of psyllium husk. You should obtain an elastic consistency, a little bit wet but the dough shouldn't stick to your hands.
- Make a dough ball and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 10-15mins to allow all the ingredients to perfectly get together.
- Finely chop the green onions and season with sea salt and extra-virgin olive oil. Be generous with the olive oil.
- Once the dough is ready, cut into 8 pieces and make little balls.
- Use a tortilla press with 2 plastic sheets and place the dough ball in the middle. Press it once, open the press and turn the flatbread to 90°, press it again. Keep flipping the flatbread until you obtain the desired size and same thickness through the flatbread.
- Once the flatbread is ready, gently remove it and repeat the same process with another dough ball.
- Once the flatbread is the right size/thickness, lift the top plastic sheet and season the pancake with the green onions. You can also add the Chinese five spices if you like.
- Add the flatbread you previously prepared on top of the seasoned one. Add more green onions on top.
- Cover with the plastic sheet and gently press again to make sure the 2 pancakes stick to each other.
- Heat a pan and add a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil and pan-fry the pancakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side until they are golden brown.
- Once the pancake is cook, you can add the seasoned green onions on top. This will add a fresh flavor and crunchy consistency.
- Eat them while they are warm!