This is our take on a traditional Indian recipe: Indian-Spiced Rice with Lentils. We love Indian spices and recipes and we decided to try out our fusion interpretation by using Black Rice instead of Basmati Rice and cooking separately rice and lentils. We mixed all the ingredients together at the end and add a seafood touch with the seared prawns. This is the perfect Autumn-Winter recipe and we love it!
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- 1 Cup of Red Lentils
- 1 Cup of Black Rice
- 16 Prawns
- A Clove of Garlic
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Fresh Ginger (thumb-size)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Coriander Powder
- 2 Cloves
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sea Salt
- Rinse the red lentils and drain with a strainer.
- Simmer a chopped clove of garlic in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, grated fresh ginger and cloves and stir all together for 1 min.
- Add the lentils to the saucepan and pour 3 cups of water. Cook at medium heat for 15mins.
- Steam 1 cup of black rice with 1 cup of water for 10mins.
- Add the black rice to the lentils, season with sea salt and black pepper. Mix all together and cook for a couple of mins.
- Pre-heat a non-stick pan and sear the prawns for a couple of minutes (each side).
- Plate the rice with lentils in a bowl, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil, add the seared prawns on top. Season some freshly chopped cilantro, ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.