Also known as Lo Shui (卤水), this is traditionally a rich and flavorful stock that can be used for a variety of proteins and when frozen, can be used almost forever. You just need to melt it back again to reuse. The more times that its used, the more flavorful it becomes.
This is the quick and easy recipe for those who does not have access to a huge variety of Asian ingredients. This is just as tasty and was a highly recommended recipe from Ben’s Mum and Dad. It’s crucial to use high quality soy sauce for this version, as you want to bring out the full flavor.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 1lb Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 3-4 Pieces of Star Anise
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Teaspoons of Raw Coconut Sugar
- Organic Soy Sauce (Gluten-free)
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Sesame Oil
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Scallion to taste
- Cut the chicken thighs into piece (1.5-2 inches / 3-4cm) and add it to a pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, the star anise, the cinnamon sticks and the raw coconut sugar to the pot.
- Cover the chicken with 2/3 of soy sauce and 1/3 of water. Mix all together.
- Cook at medium heat for 7-8 minutes (from the moment the soy sauce starts boiling).
- Serve the chicken into a bowl with some freshly diced scallion on top.
- You can re-use the master stock to cook other meats such as beef, pork and chicken.