Chicken with Black Bean sauce is a Chinese traditional favorite. This recipe is thanks to Ben’s Mum and Dad, who helped create such a simple yet amazingly tasty sauce that is super versatile. This works well with pork, chicken and fish. The twist here is that the black bean sauce is made from scratch, not from a jar. The hand-made sauce isn’t difficult and is so much more flavorful when cooked – you can really taste the saltiness and black beans!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 1lb Organic Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Black Fermented Salted Beans
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Ginger (thumb-size)
- 1 Teaspoon of Chili Flakes / 2 Dried Red Chilies
- 2 Teaspoons of Raw Coconut Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Corn Starch
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Organic Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Scallion to taste
- Add the fermented black beans into a large bowl and mask them with a spoon.
- Finely chop the garlic and the ginger and add them to the bowl.
- Add sesame oil, extra-virgin olive oil, coconut sugar and chili and mix all together.
- Add 1 teaspoon of corn starch to thicken the sauce and the liquid that the chicken produces during the cooking.
- Cut the chicken thighs into piece (1.5-2 inches / 3-4cm) and add it to the bowl.
- Mix all together and let the chicken marinate in the bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- Pre-heat a wok with some water on the bottom and the bamboo steamer (if you don't have it you can steam the chicken with other appliances).
- Pour the chicken into a ceramic bowl and cook it in the bamboo steamer for 10 minutes.
- Once ready, season it with freshly diced scallion.