- 1hr for the seaweeds / 18mins for the Risotto
This is a traditional Italian seafood Risotto with a fusion twist with the seaweed. The ink from the squids adds an amazing sea flavor and a purple color to the risotto. Every time we cook squids we keep the natural ink. It's delicious. The dried seaweed adds an amazing sea flavor to the mix without overpowering the delicate aromas of the squids. We found super fresh sea lettuce and decided to prepare our dried seaweeds. You can prepare a batch of dried seaweeds and store it in a glass container for months.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g Riso Acquerello or Carnaroli or Vialone Nano
- 6 Squids
- 1 Green Onion
- Handful of Sea Lettuce Seaweed
- Fish Broth
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Thyme
- Wash thoroughly the sea lettuce. Use a strainer to remove the excess water. Place the sea lettuce on a tray covered with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°F / 80°C and bake the sea lettuce for 1 hour to allow the seaweed to completely dry.
- Finely slice a green onion and simmer it with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Once the oil is warm and the spring onion starts to sizzle, add the rice and toast it for a couple of minutes.
- Pre-heat the fish broth in a saucepan and keep it at a medium heat.
- Start pouring small amounts of the broth in the pan with the rice and continue stirring. Keep doing this for three quarters of the rice cooking time.
- Separate the squids' heads from the bodies. Wash throughlty and slice the squids' body. Add the squids (bodies and heads) to the rice while cooking.
- Continue stirring the rice for a couple of minutes, adding broth to prevent the rice from sticking to the pot. The rice usually needs to cook 15-18mins in total. Add the squids into the rice 2-3mins before the rice is ready. Stir the rice with the squids and mix all together.
- Make sure you add the right amount of broth to make the risotto creamy (and not brothy or overcooked). Season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and fresh thyme.
- Once the risotto is finally cooked, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil on top and sprinkle some dried sea lettuce.