This recipe has been inspired by a traditional Indian recipe: Indian-Spiced Rice with Lentils. We love Indian spices and recipes and we decided to try out our fusion interpretation by using Brown Rice instead of Basmati Rice and cooking separately rice and lentils. We mixed all the ingredients together at the end and add a seafood touch with the seared prawns. This recipe is perfect for Autumn and Winter and we love it!
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- 1 Cup of Red Lentils
- 1 Cup of Brown Rice
- 16 Prawns
- A Clove of Garlic
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons of Sweet Curry Powder
- 2 Cloves
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sea Salt
- Rinse the red lentils and drain with a strainer.
- Simmer a chopped clove of garlic in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil. Add cumin seeds and curry powder and stir all together for 1 min.
- Add the lentils to the saucepan and pour 3 cups of water. Cook at medium heat for 15mins.
- Steam 1 cup of brown rice with 1 cup of water for 10mins.
- Add the brown rice to the lentils, season with sea salt and black pepper. Mix all together and cook for a couple of mins.
- Pre-heat a non-stick pan and sear the prawns for a couple of minutes (each side).
- Plate the rice with lentils in a bowl, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil, add the seared prawns on top. Season some freshly chopped cilantro, ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt.