In this fusion recipe we are combining the flat rice noodles from Southeast Asia with the Italian tomato sauce, eggplant puree and sole fillets but you can use other types of white fish like branzino, sea bream, cod, halibut. In Italian pasta recipes, tomato sauce is often combined with fried eggplants and seafood. In this recipe, we decided to blend the eggplants into a puree adding a different consistency to the dish. It's gluten-free recipe, perfect for a quick and light meal. We usually prepare the tomato sauce and the eggplant puree in advance and store it in the fridge for 4-5 days and it only takes 5 mins to cook the noodles!
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 180g Pad Thai Black Rice Noodles
- 2 Sole Fillets (or other White Fish)
- 1 Eggplant
- 15-20 Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon of Raw Coconut Sugar
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Mint
- Roughly dice the eggplant into cubes. Add the cubes into a pan with some extra-virgin olive oil and a clove of garlic. Cook with the lid at medium heat until they become soft. Occasionally stir. It should take 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the eggplant cubes into the blender with extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a few fresh mint leaves.
- Blend it until you obtain a fine and creamy puree. Adjust with sea salt, pepper and extra-virgin olive oil to your taste. You can store it in the fridge (cover with a layer of extra-virgin olive oil) for a 7-10 days.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Add 1 clove of garlic to a non-stick pan and simmer with extra-virgin olive oil until golden. Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Once the cherry tomatoes are half cooked add 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar and keep stirring at medium heat until they are completely cooked and mashed.
- Remove the garlic and blend the cherry tomatoes until you obtain a very smooth and creamy sauce.
- Pan fry the sole fillets into a pan with 1 clove of garlic and some extra-virgin olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook with the lid for 5-6 mins.
- Once the sole fillets are cooked, mince the fillets for a fork.
- Boil water in a pot and once the water is boiling add 1 tablespoon of sea salt, stir and add the Pad-Thai noodles. These noodles need to cook 2-3 mins less than the recommended time.
- Once the noodles are ready, drain the water and pass them under cold running water.
- Add the noodles to a large bowl. Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil. Add the tomato sauce and stir until the sauce is fully mixed with the noodles.
- Plate the noodles, add the sole and drizzle some eggplant puree and some extra-virgin olive oil. Season with some fresh basil.